Can you get help with your council tax bill?

Each year the Welsh Government make money available so that local councils can help a number of people get help with their council tax bill.This is called Council Tax Reduction and in my constituency you need to contact either Merthyr Tydfil or Caerphilly CBC as appropriate, or use the website below for advice:

“Householders may be entitled to pay less council tax if they:

  • Live on a low income
  • Live alone, or with people or children who do not pay council tax
  • Are a student
  • Are disabled
  • Are a carer
  • Are mentally impaired.

I would encourage everyone to check the Welsh Government website to see whether they are entitled to help to pay their council tax. The Welsh Government has joined forces with local authorities, and third sector organisations to develop simple and consistent advice to ensure all households in Wales have the information they need about their entitlements to council tax support.

A simple eligibility checker is available at The website includes links to each local authority, enabling householders to contact their council once they have completed the eligibility checker.

The Welsh Government have worked hard to ensure vulnerable households in Wales continue to receive council tax support as part of our Council Tax Reduction Scheme and we want to ensure all eligible households receive the discounts and exemptions they are entitled to.


Comments for this post are closed.